The objective of the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreational Services is to ensure the intercollegiate athletics and recreational programs represent and reflect the missions and goals of the University. By providing quality opportunities and programs that reflect high academic, moral and athletic standards, NYIT enables all student-athletes to maximize their personal potential.
By providing challenging recreation opportunities and quality facilities for all members of the NYIT community, the department seeks to create a sense of community spirit and pride among all constituents – students, faculty, staff, administrators and alumni.
The department believes in providing community experiences and opportunities for the development of leadership and personal life skills and career growth.
The purpose of the department is to:
• Have NYIT represented by men and women whose conduct reflects credit upon the University, and who are bona fide students making normal progress in degree programs with appropriate academic counseling, advisement and support
• Encourage scholarship, sportsmanship, fair play and a sense of responsibility among all athletes, students, faculty, the department staff and spectators at athletic events
• Field disciplined and competitive athletes and teams that are recruited, coached and supported by skilled people dedicated to the observance of the spirit, as well as the letter, of all applicable rules
• Schedule athletic competitions appropriate to the skills of the participants
• Have the University’s Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreational Services recognized as a leader among ethical, nondiscriminatory and well-managed units committed to excellence
• Provide appropriate health support for all intercollegiate athletes
• Maintain intercollegiate athletics befitting a major university, and to accommodate the athletic, fitness and recreational needs of a diverse university community
• Operate a fiscally responsible department of the University, which adds to the University’s overall success with minimal financial impact